Clemens: Wine hangover – LubbockOnline.com
| Special to the Avalanche-Journal
New Year’s Eve is called “amateur drunk” night because folks who do not regularly consume alcohol decide they might as well join the “oh-be-joyous” fest on the last night of the year.
Too much wine can cause a hangover just like other alcohol beverages. Here are some suggestions on how to avoid or survive:
• Take a non-drowsy antihistamine before drinking. Histamines can contribute to hangover.
• Drink low alcohol wines: less than 13% is a good target.
• Drink wine with food, preferably on a full stomach.
• Spend more money and get better wine. Low-end wines and flavored wines tend to have more wine additives and often more sugar. Additives and sugar are wine hangover villains.
• Match each glass of wine with a glass of water. Lack of hydration is a principal cause of hangovers.
• Avoid mixing wine with other types of alcohol, particularly higher alcohol drinks after you finish your wine drinking.
• Stop drinking two hours before sleep.
• Drink lower-alcohol white wine or less tannic red. Surprising to many, red wine tends to produce less of a hangover. The chemical acetaldehyde is a byproduct your body produces metabolizing ethanol and is major cause of hangovers. Red wine has the lowest levels of acetaldehyde among wines. Sherry, brandy, and some sweet wines have the highest.
• Drink in moderation, the obvious prevention method, but one easily forgotten amid the fervid frivolity as midnight approaches.
• Trivento Reserve Malbec, Mendoza 2019: Smooth, fun, larruping good expression of Argentina’s signature grape. $10-12
• Quinta da Raza Dom Diogo Arinto Vinho Verede DOC 2020: Fresh, lively delight. $13-16
• Beronia Verdejo, Rueda DO 2019: Tart, refreshing, excellent acidity. $15-18
• Casanova di Neri Irrosso Rosso, Toscana 2018: Impressive depth and complexity for a wine at this price point. $18-21
• Ramōn Bilbao Rosado 2020: Wondrous mouthfeel; rosé made in Provençal style. $20-22
• Daou Vineyards Discovery Rosé 2020: Delicious, marvelously approachable rosé you can afford …….